Wednesday, January 4, 2012

[New Year, New You] Stepping Out of the Hermit Cave

For most of my occult life, I've been a solo practitioner. I didn't trust anyone else to tell me things, preferring to read books and blogs and websites and anything I could get my little witchy paws on, and then figure out for myself what's legit and what's bullshit. I 'talk shop' with a few of my closest friends (K-san and Wuffy) and have even done spells for and with them. But I've never really talked to someone outside of my little contact group. You never know when you'll find a True Believer, or a kook.

Over the last year, I've been feeling isolated and more hermit-like than ever, in regards to my pagan studies and practices. I've felt the need to learn from living sources, asking questions that can be answered right away instead of hunting for info in books. That meant going out and socializing. Sadly, my work schedule keeps me from loitering around the few pagan shops in the area all day. Although more and more pagan/ witchy people have come by the Shop, and even my other job, I haven't been able to figure out how to meet more of these strange, yet generally nice people.

Then i get an email about A Feast of Lights celebration in February. Pre-reg deadline is Jan 15th, the event is the first weekend in February, and on Saturday night there's The Stag King's Masque.

I hemmed and hawed and did some math, then I bounced my thoughts off of my friend, Althea, and all signs pointed to "If you can be careful with your money, pre-reg now, pay by the deadline, and go have fun."

So now I must pack my hermit's cloak up into my bag, put the candle away, and begin cleaning myself up and making myself ready to enter Pagan-society again. My BS meter will be on HI Alert, but I'm hoping that I will be able to warm up quickly to these quirky creatures.

Who knows, maybe I'll find a new teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment